Denys Peter Myers ( 1916-2003 )
Architectural historian and Episcopalian deacon Denys P. Myers served with the U.S. Army from 1943 until 1946. While in the MFAA he participated in the recovery of art stolen by the Nazis, and aided in Lt. John Skilton’s remarkable salvage of the Tiepolo ceiling at the Residenz Palace in Würzburg, Germany.
Myers was graduated from Harvard in 1940, and received his Masters degree from Columbia University in 1948. He returned to Harvard in 1950 for continued graduate studies at the Fogg Museum. From 1947 until 1955 Myers was director at the Art Institute in Zanesville, Ohio, and then worked for three years at the Philbrook Art Center in Tulsa. From 1959 to 1965 he was assistant director at the Baltimore Museum of Art. Myers worked at the National Park Service periodically for twenty years, primarily involved with the Historic American Buildings Survey, and was also the principal architectural historian. He was an expert on 19th century architect Isaiah Rogers and 19th century gas lighting, and wrote several books, including Gas Lighting in America: A Pictorial Survey, 1815-1910, and The Historic Architecture of Maine. Myers was a founding member of the Society of Architectural Historians, serving as director from 1962 to 1965, and was a member of the Cosmos Club in Washington, D.C. until his death in 2003.